With the end of 2021 quickly approaching, there is still time to take advantage of many tax planning opportunities for this year. Below are several planning ideas that may be applicable to you and your family. Please reach out to us to discuss how you can implement any of these strategies, and others, into your financial plan for 2021.
- Charitable Contributions: You have 2.5 months left to make charitable donations this year. A few additional reminders regarding contributions for 2021:
- If you do not itemize deductions, you can take a $300 ($600 for joint filers) charitable contribution in addition to the standard deduction
- Consider gifting directly from your IRA if you have required minimum distributions. The charitable donation reduces dollar for dollar the taxable amount of your RMD (up to $100,000)
- HSAs: Be sure you are contributing the maximum amounts - $3,600 for self-coverage or $7,200 for family coverage – if eligible.
- Annual gifts: individuals can gift up to $15,000 per person to any individual for the 2021 year and not have a reportable tax gift to the donor or recipient
- Roth Conversions: review whether it makes sense for you to convert any of your pre-tax dollars to Roth this calendar year
- Retirement plan contributions: review your year-to-date contributions to your retirement plans to ensure you are contributing the maximum amount allowed this year
- Withholdings and estimated payments: Be sure and review your paycheck withholding amounts and / or any estimated tax payments for the year to ensure you are on target to avoid any interest and penalties
We are also closely monitoring the proposed tax changes in Washington and will be communicating changes once finalized and how they may impact you. If you have any questions about year-end planning or would like to schedule a time to discuss any aspect of your financial plan, please reach out to us to schedule a time.
IMPORTANT DISCLOSURE INFORMATION
MCF Advisors, LLC (“MCF”) is a SEC registered investment adviser. Registration as an investment adviser does not imply a certain level of skill or training. The oral and written communications of an adviser provide you with information about which you determine to hire or retain an adviser. More information about the adviser can also be found by visiting: https://adviserinfo.sec.gov/. This is not intended as an offer or solicitation with respect to the purchase or sale of any security. MCF may only transact business in those states in which it is registered, or qualifies for an exemption or exclusion from registration requirements. Please remember that past performance may not be indicative of future results. Different types of investments involve varying degrees of risk, and there can be no assurance that the future performance of any specific investment, investment strategy, or product (including the investments and/or investment strategies recommended or undertaken by MCF), or any non-investment related content, made reference to directly or indirectly in this blog/newsletter will be profitable, equal any corresponding indicated historical performance level(s), be suitable for your portfolio or individual situation, or prove successful. Due to various factors, including changing market conditions and/or applicable laws, the content may no longer be reflective of current opinions or positions. Moreover, you should not assume that any discussion or information contained in this blog/newsletter serves as the receipt of, or as a substitute for, personalized investment advice from MCF. To the extent that a reader has any questions regarding the applicability of any specific issue discussed above to his/her individual situation, he/she is encouraged to consult with the professional advisor of his/her choosing. MCF is neither a law firm nor a certified public accounting firm and no portion of this content should be construed as legal or accounting advice. A copy of MCF’s current written disclosure statement and customer relationship summary (“Form CRS”) discussing our advisory services and fees continues to remain available upon request. The scope of the services to be provided depends upon the needs of the client and the terms of the engagement. If you are a MCF client, please remember to contact MCF, in writing, if there are any changes in your personal/financial situation or investment objectives for the purpose of reviewing/evaluating/revising our previous recommendations and/or services.